Friday, November 16, 2012

Much much more than a snack cake


 


A hot topic on the news and social media today is the closing of Hostess brands.  This topic is much dearer to my heart than the loss of delicious snack cakes.  For 31 years my father was a dedicated employee for Hostess brands.   About a year ago,  he found it necessary to leave the company for a rival one to ensure job security.  Despite his change of companies, the Hostess brands company will always  be special to me.  It is what paid for the food on my table, clothes on my back, shelter over my head, and so much more for many many years.
Some thoughts I have as I look back include:
 
 
  • The mascott is named Twinkie the Kid
  • During high school my best friend and I got paid to pass out bread samles at grocery stores. Best job EVER!
  • During the premiere of Shrek, they dyed the inside of Twinkies green. Those were my favorite
  • Wonder bread was the first company to sell sliced bread
  • My dad always had a trunk full of snack cakes ready to hand out to any neighbors that crossed his path. 
  • Mini muffins tast so much better when they're microwaved
  • Michael and I used to live right by the Hostess bakery in Ogden and could smell baking deliciousness early in the mornings from our apartment
  • Bread men are some of the kindest, hard working people you will ever meet.
 
 

My dad used to say that he wanted us to get an education so we wouldn't be dumb bread men, but never once was I ashamed of where my dad worked.  I am a proud Wonder child, and grateful for his employment all those years.  Farewell Twinkie the Kid. I owe you.
 
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. I love my uncle, the bread man, too. Still remember when we were little kids that he let us go in his truck and pick out any treat we wanted. Also remember getting thoroughly spoiled as a college student at BYU-Idaho when he would bring me over a bag full of bread and goodies. It's funny though, 'cause when I was a kid the hostess/wonder brand was the enemy before the merger with Eddy's. At least that's what your Dad tried to instill in us. But loved your post. It brought back good memories. And it is sad that they are closing down the factories. I feel bad for the people that will be out of a job.

    ReplyDelete