Thursday, January 9, 2014

A week in October

Nine months came and went.  I now proudly sport the title of mother(and sometimes mama bear).  Pregnancy was exciting and draining and magical and humiliating and everything I'd hoped for.  If I had to choose one word that to summarize my pregnancy it would be walk.  I became a bit of a walkaholic because it eased the pain, gave me energy, and kept me preoccupied.  I walked to the store, I walked the stairs at work, I walked the trail near our home, I walked across Mexico and Hawaii, and I walked that baby right out of me.

Here it is.  The last picture the bump appeared in.  I was 37 weeks and the Dr. was certain this babe would be coming soon because I was almost halfway through labor already.  Being in pre-term labor for so long was rough on the body and mind, especially while working, but

I was lucky enough to have my mama stay with us the few days before and after delivery.  Having her there was priceless. The night before I went into labor we were all starting to think the Doc was a quack and that the baby was staying put for the next two weeks. Contractions and Braxton Hicks were actually slower and less intense than they had been the few days before.  We went to bed and I was out like a rock....until 4 am.  I woke up because of a cramp and then a little gush.  I stood up and made my way to the bathroom and the little gush turned into Niagra Falls because my water broke and this baby was coming!!! I started shouting to Michael from the bathroom that it's officially baby time.  Finally, he heard me and sprang up with an excited panic and his hair sticking straight up.  While I got myself dressed, he went and woke up my mom and the mad scramble to grab everything and get out the door began.  Right before we were out the door I felt my first real contraction.  Wow. Those things are no joke and I morphed into the crazy woman in labor asking my husband to drive faster and questioning why he chose what seemed liked the slowest route possible to get to the hospital.  After what seemed like an eternity to check-in, we made it to the labor room and the only word out of my mouth was epidural.
This picture is anything but flattering, but this is real life labor my friends.  I was dilated to a 6 at check-in and was not emotionally prepared to have this baby without my beloved epidural.  In the above picture Michael and I are actually arm wrestling.  It was the closest I've ever come to winning.

As soon as I got the epidural it was nothing but rainbows and butterflies.  
This is a happy mama who is dilated to a 10, well medicated, and ready to push.  Only problem with that awesome epidural is that it might have been a little too awesome.  I could not feel a thing. Nothing.  Michael teased me about the fact that I was smiling as I was pushing.  I had to have a lot of coaching on pushing since I was so numb, and I'm grateful I had my husband there by my side to tell me I was doing good.  After half an hour of pushing and a little help from the baby vaccum, Victoria Dawn was out.
She was born at 7:29 am weighing 6 pounds 12 oz and 20 1/2 inches long.
I wish I could accurately describe the emotions of holding your child for the first time, but gosh darn it, it's just not possible.  The words enchanting, overwhelming, and beautiful are just going to have to suffice. 
Nothing has ever filled me with more joy than seeing my sweetheart and eternal mate become a father.  Goodness, fatherhood looks good on him. 

We were greeted home with so much kindness from dear friends, family, and neighbors.  Having a child is so very humbling. 
This picture will forever make me laugh.  This was the morning after our first night home.  She kept us up all night. I was so tired.  She was so awake.  But I was too happy to care.

Our first Chargers game as a family.  Definitely must be documented for posterity's sake.
It was so hard to keep her under the bili lights because all we wanted to do was snuggle her scrumptious self up. 
 
 

 And so concluded our first week as parents and the beginning of our sweet daughter's journey on this earth.  The love of a parent is a burning in your chest- all-consuming powerful kind of love.  I know I felt my Heavenly Father's love for me and my family during this experience, and for that I'm grateful.
 
Now, where's the book of instructions that tells me what to do from here?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment